What is the Cloud?
Cloud computing (“the cloud”) is one of the leading technology topics in the world. Cloud computing, sometimes called on-demand computing, uses the Internet to provide shared computing resources and storage of records or documents. The term covers everything from emailing or photo sharing on a commercial service like Google to hosting the entire computing infrastructure of a global corporation from remote data centers.
The Cloud is particularly valuable to small and medium-size businesses (SMB’s) because it provides access to full function applications at a reasonable price, without substantial operating expenditure for hardware and software. Using the correct cloud provider, a company can rapidly scale as their business grows or a new company is added.
Cloud ERP enables a company’s accounting, operations management and reporting to run in the cloud. As one would expect, Cloud ERP vendors vary significantly in their technology, functionality and service. After researching ERP cloud vendors, it becomes clear that they have few things in common beyond hosting of an application and utilizing the internet to provide connectivity.
Benefits of Cloud ERP
- Lower total cost of ownership
- Ability to scale solution easily as your company grows
- Lower up front costs
- Ease of use
- Cost and effort of upgrades reduced
- Configuration flexibility
- IT Staff needs reduced
- Managed by Experts
- Avoids upfront costs for all computing infrastructure
More Benefits Besides Cost Savings
- Accessing the system from anywhere makes it easy for a company to expand geographically since the Internet is everywhere and there is no need to implement hardware and software at remote locations
- Taking advantage of Cloud ERP applications faster since installation of hardware and software on servers or user devices is not required
- The ability to adjust the amount of cloud service as a company’s computing or storage needs fluctuate
- Enjoying the confidence that the data has been backed up and there is a disaster recovery plan
- Paying only for the computing resources needed
IDC Whitepaper – Why cloud applications are Key to Supporting Growth of Small and Medium Businesses
Click to Download IDC Whitepaper